What You Should Know About Car Accident Reports
Odds are that most adults will be in several accidents over the course of a lifetime yet many are still not that familiar with the contents, availability, or significance of a police report.
Contents of a Police Report are Generated at the Scene of an Accident
At the scene of an accident, law enforcement is almost always called. Once they arrive, a factual report is written up to detail the accident. The following items are commonly found in a police report:
- Time, Date & Physical Location of the Accident
- General Description of Weather and Road Conditions at the Scene
- Names, Ages & Contact Info for People Involved in Accident
- Names, Ages & Contact Info for Anyone who may have Witnessed Accident
- Description of Vehicles, Motorcycles, etc. Involved in Accident
- Description of Injuries, Medical Attention Given
- DUI or DWI or Distracted Driver Evidence if Applicable
- Description of Property Damage
- Diagrams and Details of the Accident
- Other Observations or Photos Directly related to Accident
Your Own Viewpoint
How important is the accident report to your personal injury claim? Very important! Liability may or may not be clear based upon the accident report alone. This is another reason why it’s important to gather your own information and photos…that is if you are physically able to do so. (If you are injured, this may not be realistic or advisable.) Your documentation, the police report and eye-witnesses accounts will aid your personal injury team in their ability to reconstruct the accident.
Get Copy of Police Report
After your accident, and after you are physically well enough to do so, get a copy of your police report. Check the report for accuracy. Accident records are considered public record. Anyone can request copies including the insurance adjuster or an attorney. You can get your copy of the report from the police department or law enforcement that originated the report. Your injury attorney can also have the report pulled on your behalf.
Find Your Personal Injury Attorneys
The attorneys at Action Law Offices understand that you will have many questions related to your accident report. If you were injured in an accident, follow up with Action Law Offices. Request your free consultation and review the details of your case with a local accident attorney.
Leave a Comment